I’m not the girl I used to be. Actually, I was that girl, then I wasn’t, & now I am again. I know: I’ve lost you. But, stay with me. I’m not talking about plastic surgery or personality disorders. I’m talking home furnishings.Way back when my Handsome Assistant & I got married, we furnished our little apartment with whatever cast-offs our family was willing to give us & a few other odd finds here & there. So, our little home was a conglomeration of all kinds of mis-matched furniture. As time went on, we replaced most of the odd pieces & operated on what I call the “Rooms-To-Go” mentality, where you can choose an entire room full of matching pieces & have an instant room delivered in a day or two. Many people still go with this method & they love it, so I’m not saying it’s bad. But, as time has gone on & my tastes have changed, and also since I moved into a house with much more space than my previous home & not enough budget to order whatever I want from a catalog, I’ve adopted my old mentality again. And I know it’s popular with many of you as well. Only now we don’t call it “Hand-Me-Down Decorating”. Today we call it “Eclectic Design”. So, with all that being said, you will understand why I recently replaced my perfectly fine queen guest bed with a re-made $10 headboard from Goodwill. And I love it!Here’s what the headboard looked like when I found it:And here are a couple of examples of beds I had stored in my mental design file from here & there along the way:Love this one from Ethan Allen:And this one’s gorgeous from Bernhardt’s Martha Stewart collection:
Those are the types of beds that came to mind when I found mine & then inspired me to attempt to replicate the look.
The first thing I decided to do was fill in the little fan motif. So, I used a putty knife to fill it in with wood filler, waited for it to dry, then sanded it smooth.
Next, I painted with with my new spray gun using Sherwin Williams’ All-Purpose black enamel. It worked great. But, the area covered with wood filler accepted the paint differently than the wood did, so I decided to go over just the panel with a brush for a little better coverage.
I love how it turned out! If the light hits the center a certain way & if you know what you’re looking for, the fan motif shows thru just a little, but overall, the method worked very well.
Here’s the before shot of my matching set:
And here’s the after. I still haven’t made a decision about the tables yet. I’ll get back to you when I figure that out.