Well, I want to start out by saying “Thank you” to you all you kind, observant readers who read about my green TV console makeover several weeks ago and suppressed the urge to say “What are you thinking?” about my totally mis-matched chair in the room. It’s true that the huge green presence probably distracted some of you from noticing (which was my goal), but I did show a little of it in this picture, & I’m sure some of you out there raised an eyebrow. (I know–the orange table is debatable, too. But let’s not talk about that right now.)Here’s the infamous chair in all its black & brown glory:Well, you may be happy to know that I have now successfully slipped the mis-fit & it’s much more at home now. I decided to cover the body of the chair in one of your favorites & mine: a painter’s drop cloth. I bought mine at Wal-mart for around $18 & actually only needed the one 9×12 for the entire job! If you prefer to order online, this is my affiliate link for a great deal on Amazon. I also found a wide blue stripe (Regency Regatta by Sunbrella) for the cushions. I use the “pin-to-fit” method for slipcovering, which means exactly what it says. You just start by cutting large pieces to the approximate shapes of the parts of the chair. It looks like this:Then, you iron the wrinkles out of the pieces & pin them together where it needs to be sewn. You’re basically constructing the cover inside-out & will turn it to fit after sewing.I make the flaps at the bottom by measuring the length I need from top to bottom, then doubling it, allowing for it to be folded in half for extra bulk. Sew up the sides, flip in inside out, & press with an iron to form a “pocket”. Here’s what one of the corner flaps looks like:I recommend fitting the main part of the chair first, then adding the flaps after. Keep in mind that fitting it correctly may require a lot of on & offs & trips to the sewing machine to get it the way you want it. You may also want to leave some of the seams of the cover un-sewn, then use velcro (here is my affiliate link for a great deal on the type I use) to close it tightly after & get a better fit. I used velcro on the two seams on the back of the chair & at all four of the bottom corners. I slipcovered the ottoman much the same way I did this one last year. If you’ve never done a slipcover, just know that no two ever turn out the same, and they are never perfect. At least not at my house!It does take several hours & a little bit of thinking things through, but it’s so much better than going out & spending money on a new chair.This one works so much better in our basement game & craft space. And we’re one step closer to a completed room. More fun to come!
Browse the Archives
Browse by Tag
Back-to-School Birthdays Blogging Chalkboards Christmas Crafting Decorating Dining Room DIY Entertaining Faith Fall Family Family Room Free Printables Friends Front Porch Furniture Redo Gift Ideas Giveaway Inspiration Kids Kitchen Life My Style Our House Outdoor Decorating Painting Paper Crafting Parties Piano Room Pretty Preppy Party Recipes Screened Porch Seasonal Shelves Sewing Sponsored Post Spring Summer Tablescapes Thanksgiving Thrift Store Finds Travel Valentine's Day Wreaths