It was my intense love for all things Chick-fil-A that first inspired me to try to make a copycat version of their delicious chicken tortilla soup at home. I originally shared the recipe for my version of the soup here, and it’s definitely one of my most popular. It all started with a few ingredients I jotted down one day, and after some experimenting and tweaking, I’ve updated the recipe to what I think is an even better version! And so easy!
Here’s all you need:
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4-oz can of diced green chilies
- 1 taco seasoning packet (hot or mild, depending on your preference)
- 32-oz carton of chicken broth
- (1) 15-oz can black beans, drained
- (3) 15-oz cans navy beans, drained
- (1) 15-oz can yellow corn, drained
- 3 cups, cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup heavy cream
Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add the onions, and cook until translucent. Next, add the green chilies, the taco seasoning packet, chicken broth, all the canned items, and the chicken. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for several minutes until heated through. Lastly, add the cream and heat for at least 5-10 more minutes. Serve with tortilla chips and top with shredded cheese, if desired.
This yields a large pot of soup, and it’s perfect for freezing a portion for another meal later!
‘Tis the season for yummy soups! Hope you enjoy this like we do!