Hope you had a great Valentine’s Day with the ones you love. We did here. But, now that it’s over, I’m ready to move on to the next thing. All my Valentine décor was down before I even finished my coffee this morning & now I’m back to decorating for the everyday. For now. For months now, my little shelf above my range has been bugging me to give it something to call its own. I gave it a chalkboard just before the Christmas season, but that wasn’t quite enough. It wanted topiaries. I found some from Ballard Designs, but they were a little pricey & I didn’t love them enough to have them standing over my head every day. So, I finally took a blind trip to my beloved Hobby Lobby, hoping to find inspiration amongst the 50% off green plastic foliage. I left with some little boxwood bushes & hoped everything would turn out okay. When I got home, I pulled out some little glazed ceramic planters I had been saving for this occasion & then took a walk in my backyard, searching for the perfect sticks. Once I found those, it hit me! And my little topiaries came to be.Here’s what I used:

  • my green bushes (I only ended up needing about one & a half of these)
  • my wire cutters
  • my husband’s drill with a 1/16th of an inch bit (this was the fun part)
  • my 2 perfect sticks ( a little over an inch in diameter)
  • my hot glue gun
  • some newspapers
  • & some moss

And here’s what I did: 1.) With my wire cutters, I cut the stems from the bushes, just like I did with my green wreath project.2.) I then took the drill & carefully drilled holes at a downward angle around the top of the stick.

3.) Next, I took the stems & started sticking them into the drilled holes. This process may take a little experimentation. The basic rule of thumb is that you choose a drill bit that is a little smaller than your stem in order to get a snug fit.
4.) Continue to make holes where needed & stick in more stems in to fill in gaps. Bend the branches into an upward curve to give a rounded appearance. Use the glue gun to make small dabs of glue where it needs to be secured better.
5.) Stand your stick in the pot & stuff the newspapers in tightly all around it to make it stand the way you want it.
6.) Finish by covering the top of the newspaper with moss. I also helped my little branches look more rounded by hot-gluing together a few of the tips at the very top with a very small dot of glue.
7.) And because I wanted a little more of a french look for the pots, I used some rub-on letters to put the word “Paris” on one pot, and tied a black & white gingham ribbon on the other.
The total cost of this project was approximately $20 for both, including the pots! They turned out just how I wanted them. They look like the real thing. And the beauty of it is I’ll never have to prune, fertilize, or water them. Which, as we all know, leaves more time for more projects!